Thanks for your interest in celebrating the 2020 Polaris Short List via Short Film.
Polaris is a not-for-profit organization which annually honours the best Canadian music album, based on artistic merit, regardless of genre, sales or popularity. Traditionally, our winner is chosen from a list of 10 Short List albums during the Polaris Gala, a special concert event held to celebrate the musicians and albums on the Short List. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we will not be having a gala this year and will instead be celebrating the Short List albums with commissioned short films. These films will be packaged together in a special to air on CBC Music on October 19, 2020.
The Polaris Short List of albums will be announced July 15. For each of the 10 short-listed albums a filmmaker will be chosen to produce a short film that honours and celebrates the nominated album. Please note that each short-listed artist is being invited to participate in the process and we will be gauging their desired level of engagement in the film. That could range from carte blanche to fully collaborative. Please be aware and prepared for either scenario.
To be considered by Polaris, please send a web link with samples of existing filmwork and a brief BIO. Applications that include a brief description on intended medium and loose framework will be given greater consideration, though we note that plans may change depending on the assigned album/artist.
Please note, we are evaluating previous existing work and are NOT looking for SPEC work / new submissions.
- Filmmaker application deadline — July 10, 2020, 5 p.m. ET
- Short List reveal & project assignment — July 16, 2020
- Song for Short Film confirmed — No later than July 20, 2020
- Treatment / Project description for approval – No later than July 27, 2020
- Rough Cut due – Monday August 24, 2020
- Final Short Film due — Friday, September 11, 2020, 2 PM ET
Short Film Guidelines for Filmmaker
- 3-5 minutes in length
- Tech req’s: mxf XDCAM 50 422 – 1080 30p – audio in stereo (not 5.1) at -24 dB
- Must feature a song from the nominated album (whether a master recording or special recording for this). *Please note that the Short-listed artist may or may not dictate which song is to be featured.
- Must adhere to CBC’s programming policies found at: https://cbc.radio-canada.ca/en/vision/governance/programming-policies
- Additional guidelines may be added when the project is assigned.
- The success of any application is conditional on Polaris receiving evidence that all your anticipated production activities will adhere to all applicable national, provincial, and local safety guidelines, recommendations, rules and laws as they pertain to COVID-19.
If you are selected you will be notified July 16, 2020. At that time, further information on artwork requirements, production specifications and the formal agreement will be provided. Only those selected will be notified.
- The finished film will be packaged together, by CBC, with other Short Films into a Short List special celebrating all 10 albums on the 2020 Polaris Short List.
- This special will be streamed the night of the winner reveal, Monday October 19, 2020, on various CBC and Polaris platforms.
- The packaged special as well as individual films will be shared on CBC’s and Polaris’ social platforms, including Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and Instagram pages. Additionally they will be hosted on CBC’s branded platforms, including cbc.ca and CBC Gem.
Ownership of the film will remain with you subject to you granting CBC and Polaris the rights to use the film in perpetuity for their respective purposes. Other than with respect to the rights in the song selected from the Short List album being used in the film, you will be responsible for securing all rights required to produce the film and for it to be distributed as set out above.
- Polaris will pay a flat fee of $10,000 + HST for the Short Film.
- This fee must cover all production, equipment, rental, talent fees, and/or any other expenses related to the production of the short film for Polaris and CBC’s uses laid out above. The payments will be paid in 4 parts: $1k when agreement is signed. $5k upon Treatment / Project description approval, $2k upon receipt and approval of rough cut and the final $2k upon completion, submission, and approval of the final short film.
We are interested in hearing from a diverse group of applicants. We especially encourage those from all under-represented groups, including women, Black and Indigenous People of Colour (BIPOC), other racialized persons and LGBTQ2+ persons to apply.
Once again, thanks for applying. And good luck!
This application is now closed.